Residence Certificate in Japan

Residence Certificate in Japan

According to the “Law for Partial Amendment of the Basic Residents Registration Act”, since July 9, 2012, all foreign residents residing from medium to long term, are subject to the Basic Resident Registration System. A Residence Certificate (Juminhyo) will be given to foreign resident eligible for a Resident Card or Special Permanent Residence, as a proof of the residency status in Japan. This is being maintained by the local municipality or government where you live. This certificate will show your personal information, such as name, date of birth, gender, residency status and period of stay.

A Residence Certificate is important in different situations like registering in social services, such as health insurance. It will also be required when you open a bank account, apply for a driver’s license or phone contract and for employment.

How to get a Residence Certificate

Before getting a Residence Certificate, you have to notify the municipal office of your moving in. You must do this within 14 days from your arrival. You need to show your Resident Card, driver’s license or passport. You also need to fill up a form which is written in Japanese. 

Residence certificates are issued in Registration and Residents Division and Branch Offices, Certificate Section.

Please remember that a Residence Certificate is usually valid for 3 months. Different municipalities have different procedures. 

We assure you that you can ask us for assistance. Feel free to contact us for further information!

Related Articles

  1. Learn

    Basic Japanese Words and Phrases

  2. men using mobile phone

    Recommended Japanese Mobile Phone Companies

  3. 100 Yen coins

    Quick guide to Japanese Coin and Bill

  1. No comments yet.

  1. No trackbacks yet.