Technology is widely used today as a tool for teaching. We used the computer, internet, video or audio recordings and even smartphone to enhance learning.
Learning a new language, like the Japanese language needs time and effort but with the help of new technologies, it becomes more convenient and accessible. Furthermore, some of the apps are free, well-designed and very easy to use.
There are many free learning apps online that easily be downloaded using android and apple devices. The lessons from basic to advance levels are beneficial in learning new words, phrases, grammar, reading and writing as well.
Would you like to know about these free apps? Well, I will show you the best free apps and its features to help you to decide what app is suitable for your needs. But let’s learn first the advantages of using language learning apps.
Advantages of Using Language Learning Apps
Learn Anytime, Anywhere
Learning apps are available anytime you want to use it, for example, when you’re on a bus or a train, waiting for the next appointment in the hospital, during lunch break and even staying at home. Therefore, using an app in learning a new language is neither time-pressured nor time-consuming.
Compared with taking a language course online or in school, studying language using apps is definitely more cost-efficient. There are many free learning apps and paid apps both available in the play store and app store.
Is it possible to do it at the same time, playing and learning? Absolutely, yes. Learning new languages is quite challenging, but apps with games offer a stress-free way of learning. The approach is more engaging and fun, so even kids can learn the Japanese language.
The 5 Best Free Japanese Learning Apps
This app offers to help you read and write in Japanese. It is the first writing recognition app for Japanese kana. Currently, this app is only available for Android users. So what are the good things about this app? Let’s learn the features below.
- Easy to use for writing.
- Practice writing with guides before testing yourself
- Learning is very fast and uncomplicated.
- The short lessons will not eat up your time.
- You don’t need to have a pen and paper with this app.
- You can write anywhere and anytime you want.
- A convenient app, you don’t need tutorials from reading books or watching videos.
This app promised to learn to speak, listening and writing skills in other languages by just playing games. If learning the Japanese language is sometimes boring for you, then you have to try this app. It is available for both android and apple devices. Aside from being an editor’s choice in Google Play, The Wall Street Journal acknowledge Duolingo as the best language-learning app. Let’s check out why you should use this as a guide?
- Delivers a fun and easy way of learning through a game-like structure and rewards.
- You can earn points for correct answers, beats the clock, and level up.
- It helps you improve your vocabulary and grammar skills by answering questions and completing lessons.
- The lessons start with the basics and moving to advance levels.
- It provides a bite-sized lesson that you can take during your free time.
The purpose of this app is to help people to learn Asian languages including the Japanese language. Designed by a team of professional language teachers who aims to give an interactive method of learning. The app is also available to all Android and Apple users. So, what are the features of LingoDeer? Please, check below.
It provides a comprehensive introduction to the Japanese alphabet system (Hiragana and Katakana) that build a solid foundation for successful learning.
- Detailed grammar notes that explain how the language works
- It has a Clear audio recording from native speakers.
- You can learn anytime and anywhere you like because of the offline mode feature, and it’s for free.
- Japanese learning is available in Kana, Kanji, and Romaji
- With varied and creative exercise modes that target different skills.
- It has 2,000 most often used words and phrases up to the intermediate level, covered in 60+ units and 150+ lessons.
- Built-in flashcard review system that helps one memorize new words and selectively reinforces skill points.
Bravolol aims to help the users to learn the Japanese words and phrases from a native Japanese speaking parrot. It is useful for traveling anywhere in Japan. It’s a free app, and available both on android and apple devices. Please, take the time to read the nice features below.
- There are several useful Japanese phrases & words, such as, “Thank you!”, “How much?” Or “A table for two, please!”
- Tapping the phrase will able you to hear the recording which speaks loud and clear.
- The pronunciation recorded by a native Japanese speaker so you can follow it easily.
- No Internet connection required.
- You can search for keywords instantly.
- You can customize the font size.
“The Learn Japanese Offline” is an app has over 1000 commonly used Japanese phrases and vocabularies for travelers and beginners in 18 categories. So, it’s likely the same as bringing a handbook. Unfortunately, this app is only available for Android devices. To help you to decide whether to download it or not. I’ll show you the reasons why this app is very useful.
- Clear native pronunciation.
- The app completely offline, so it doesn’t require the internet to open it.
- You can search Japanese words or phrases instantly.
- There’s an option to save your favorite sentences for later review.
Well, those are the best free apps that can help you learn the basic Japanese language. Check for the list of other Japanese learning apps below.
If you want to learn the easy way to count numbers in Japanese, please click the following link.
List of Japanese Learning Apps
- Japanese Dictionary App Imiwa
- Anki Flashcards App
- Tae Kim’s Guide to Japanese Grammar
- Learn Hiragana and Katakana Mnemonics with Dr Moku
- NHK Easy Japanese News
- The Quizmaster: Obenkyo
- The Dictionaries: Akebi
- Hello Talk
- Lext Talk
- Kana (Hiragana & Katakana)
- Kana Quiz
- Kanji Senpai
Learning Japanese apps will really help you talk and understand the basic language. However, to pass any level of the Japanese proficiency exam, you should take a long-term course in a Japanese language school. Passing the JLPT will help you get a job in Japan or applying to any universities. Fair Inc. will help you find a language school in Japan. Contact them now by filling out the form below.