If you finally decided to study in Japan, then you should know the entire processing procedure of getting a student visa. Anyone who desires to study abroad in Japan for 6 months and up will be required to obtain a valid visa. Processing such a visa can be easier nowadays with the help of educational agencies. As long as you have provided all the requirements needed during the application. And our agency, FAIR Study in Japan can help you out through the whole process.
Primarily, you need a COE or Certificate of Eligibility to get a student visa. So, what is COE? It is a certificate when inviting someone from overseas and making him/her stay in Japan for a long period of time. And this document is required for the application of a student visa. Below is the step-by-step application guide in obtaining a COE and then, a student visa.
FAIR Inc. will give you information about the various types of visas in Japan, including the application process, requirements, and more. Please don’t fail to watch our new videos by subscribing to our new Youtube channel, here.
Student Visa Application Process
After choosing a school, then you can email the school or the agency, and they will send you an application form along with the list of required documents. If you have an agent, then he or she will help you find a school in Japan.
Complete the application form accordingly.
You should avoid mistakes in filling out the form, so coordinating with an agent is very important.
Prepare the required documents below for the application of COE.
- Photocopy of your Passport (the page with the name and photo, including pages indicating previous entries in Japan if ever they visited)
- Clear ID photos (4cm high × 3cm wide) provide 8 pieces and must be identical
- Original copy of your Diploma/certificate from the last institution attended (don’t worry, they will send it back to you)
- Official transcript
- A current bank statement
- Proof of income or an oath of expenses for the young students- It is a document stating that the family or other person guarantees the financial support of his/her study in Japan. Because the Japanese Immigration Bureau requests all visa applicants to prove their capacity to support themselves, including paying for tuition, school fees, sustain living costs and other expenses while in Japan.
Submit all the documents together with the application form and pay the application fee.
For students who avail of agency assistance, they need to send it to them to check for any errors before forwarding it back to the school.
After the school received all the documents and they will submit it together with your application form to the Immigration Bureau in Japan.
The approval of the COE application will take up to 2-3 months and they will issue the COE afterward.
The school will then send you the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) after the Immigration Bureau approves your application.
After you receive the COE, then you will proceed to the application for a student visa.
Applying for a Student Visa
With your Certificate of Eligibility, you can now apply for a Japan Student Visa at the Japanese Embassy in your home country. To know where the Japanese Embassy in your country, you can search for it online. You need to submit the following documents:
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE)- the original document (make sure to get it back after the issuance of a student visa because you will need it upon your arrival in Japan.
- Valid Passport
- A photo was taken within the past 3 months
- Completed Visa application form from the Japanese embassy or consulate
- Certificate of Admission – given to you by the school
- Other additional documents the consulate may request, depending on the country.
The waiting period of the issuance of the Japan student visa will take up to 3-7 days or else you can ask how long for you to wait before you can get your Visa, so you can make plans. It is best
to apply for a visa at least two weeks before your flight to Japan. For some, to get a cheaper plane ticket, they would buy a ticket even before they get their Visa. But that is risky because sometimes, the embassy will deny you of a Visa. We recommend that you take a pre-bookable ticket or buy a ticket only when you already have received your Visa.
10. Congratulations! After days of waiting, you are now in possession of a Japanese student visa.
When Landing in Japan
You should arrive in Japan within three months after the issuance of your COE. At the immigration counter, you have to provide your flight ticket, Visa and COE. They will then give you a Resident Card.
Note: They will give you a resident card at the immigration counter of Narita, Haneda, Chubu, Chitose, Hiroshima or Fukuoka airports. You will learn more about what a Resident Card in another article.
Applying for a Japan Student Visa definitely needs an educational agency because it makes the application process easier. So if ever you need assistance, well we are here to serve you, and help you fulfill your dream to study abroad in Japan. And we assure you that we’ll give you excellent services throughout the entire process.
For more information about Visa price, please click the link below:
VISA Support Service
Please check our very affordable all-in-one Japan Omakase Package by clicking the picture below.
You will get all the services you need.
Feel free to contact us by filling out the form below.